Friday 18 December 2009

The View from Pegsdon Hills

In 18 days we start our first walk clocking up real miles in our 1000miles4hope. Around midday yesterday I thought about going for a walk as part of the preparation to be in good shape. I looked outside as it started to snow. I stepped outside and it was bitterly cold. I made a cup of tea and sat beside the fire enjoying the snug inside warmth. Half way down the cup a nagging thought of 'where is your commitment?' wandered round my mind and grew inside with each sip. With the last sip I had no answers other than to go for the walk. Loading on several layers I set off along Wood Lane heading for Pegsdon Hills. Light snow falling and settling on a cow I passed who looked so cold and looked at me as if to say 'you must be crazy setting off in this'. Walking is much harder this time of year on the wet and slippery mud. One step in the summer feels at least two now. As I ascend the hill I feel surprisingly warm and take in the bleak grey scene around. It feels good to be in the outdoors with the crisp air freshening my mind. At the top of Pegsdon Hill I turn and look at the plain below, whitening as I watch. I now realise I have walked 4 miles away from home with the wind on my back. Now in my face the bones freeze and breathing is hard (like on Formby Sands on another walk). The wind is bitterly cold and strong as I feel my contact lenses wobble. The 4 miles back is going to be a test but there is no choice. Snow falls more heavily and I feel the cold bite in to my face and tears run down my face. I discover how to use my hood properly and enclose me fully except for about an inch and a half slit I can see through. All of a sudden I am in a protective cocoon, surrounded by warm breath and as snug as by the fire with my cup of tea. I look ahead of me through the driving snow at the wonderful views I can see. Whistle harder wind and snow heavier snow I am ready for what you wil do. There is something invigorating and being at one with the world when you are in the middle of powerful natural forces so close to you but the opposite side of your protective shell. I think and smile at how different it would be if I were in my summer shorts and now snuggle into the warmth of my inside world. The snow is now settling deeper and falling heavily. My commenting cow has a thick white coat on her back wearing the same expression as on a summers day with buttercups all around. She still thinks I am mad but shows no surprise as so many humans seem that way.

Home and an hour of yoga and pilates, a hot bath and settle down with another cup of tea. This one I enjoy more with the added taste of pleasure from commitment confronted and confirmed. I feel alert, stimulated and at ease with the world. Time for the best bit and go to give Karen a hug.

Len

No comments:

Post a Comment