Saturday 13 March 2010

Palmers Green Greek Festival London March 13th




As the walkers take a rest to recharge batteries and allow Len's ankle to heel, the 1000miles4hope campaign goes on the road. First stop the Palmers Green Greek festival in North London. An opportunity to mix with the local community and meet local dignatories and aspiring politicians. Here Sou and Rob put up their stand and spread the word.

The first to approach our stand is Hellenic TV who are inspired by our campaign and ask for an interview. Sou grabs the microphone and introduces our challenge to a Greek TV audience in her native tongue while Rob provides back up support - our campaign goes international!. The camera atracts other's and soon there is a steady flow of inquiry only to be interrupted by speeches from local Orthodox Bishops, MPs from Cyprus talking about the outlook for 'Lysi' or solution to the Cyprus problem (for how long and how often have I heard these words or words like them), closed by a speech by our local MP David Burrowes (Conservative Enfield, Southgate).

He tells us how unnatural it is for a European capital to be split in two by a demilitarised zone, how unholy it is to refuse worshipers to practice their religion in their houses of worship, how unhuminatarian it is not to support the UN's mission to trace the many still missing from the 1974 invasion, and how 'Lysi' must be a Cypriot solution for Greek and Turk alike - all well meant but still terribly depressing. This has been our reality for 36 years and if we wait for Cypriots to sort it out we will be waiting at least another 36 years. As I said to the chairman of the Cypriot Democratic Rally Party (DISY - the equivalent of the Conservative Party), Cyprus' biggest problem is that it is in the wrong place - tow it 500 miles west and we would be Italian and even they are united under one flag.

I catch David later and chastise him for not replying to an email I sent him about 1000miles4hope only to be embarrased as he apologises for this oversight and then tells me his brother-in-law has MS. It still hits me, as we walk and talk about MS, how many people we meet who know someone with MS. I explain the research we are supporting at the stem cell research lab in Cambridge which is bringing hope to people with MS only for David to inform me that he is Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Umbilical Cord Blood and Adult Stem Cells. He tells me he is hooked on our cause and gives me his email address - David, I will be following up!

The event is warming up and I find time only for a quick pork kebab cooked outside in the drive by the local Greek restaurant Lemonia (the Lemon Tree) on a portable barbecue - delicious even when a little cold. Petros, the official photographer from the local paper, approaches and tells me about Andreas who has a fish and chip shop in Woodford who, for two years running, has won the award for the best fish and chips in the country. Of course I am proud that a compatriot has beaten the many Mr Chippy's and Fish-a-Hoys up and down the country to this coveted prize, but puzzled why I was singled out for this disclosure. Petros allows me a few moments to wallow in national pride before disclosing that Andreas, in celebrating his victory, donated the proceeds from his establishment for the following 2 weeks to MS - Andreas, I will be following up!

The day ends with some dancing and more speeches - we have met some old friends and made some new ones. Our challenge seems to resonate - maybe its the miles, certainly the cause, but particularly the message of HOPE. 224 miles done, 776 to go and I can't wait.

Our campaign will now spread out from London - first stop Dorset in April and then Offas' Dyke from North to South Wales in May. Details will appear on the website - come and join us if you can.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful day. Makes me wish I was Greek. Andreas....wonderful....Rob needs to bring me to try your fish and chips one day soon.

    Len

    ReplyDelete