Thursday 9 September 2010

Walk 52 (C2C 3) - 8.8 miles - Total 717.9 - To Go 282.1


A Walk for Patsy, Sarah and everyone with MS
Stonethwaite, Eagle Crag, Greenup Edge Pass, then split with Len down Far Easedale and Easdale Beck to Grassmere and Rob along the Ridge via Calf Crag, Gibson Knott and Helm Crag.
William Wordsworth
' I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed---and gazed---but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.'

We are in Wordsworth country so we had to invite him to make a contribution to our blog. The daffodils have gone but the sentiment remains. The walk today from Rosthwaite to Grasmere is referred to by Wainwright as a walk in heaven. We both agree it is a perfect description. Early on we meet Jim from Dartmouth. 71 years old carrying an 18kg bag with his camping gear and having taken on Red Pike the day before. Very impressive. He was walking with the amazing Steve who had walked John O Groates to Lands End in a continuous three month journey raising money for Cancer Research and the British Heart Foundation. See his website at www.steveslongwalk.org for a truly great effort. Great meeting you Jim and Steve.

We walk along by Eagle Crag standing high above us and on the other side of a stream flowing and waterfalling its way in parts down the hill. We go up and up and up and up for four miles with a steep ascent at the top. When we are at the very top we look back on Eagle Crag below us. Amazing feeling. We meet lots of great people along the way all feeling wonderful with the whole experience of immersing themselves in the scenery and sensations of the place and all supporting our cause.
I remark to Rob that he doesnt even see sheep now. The city boy so enamoured by every new breed is now matter of fact and tells me one has to move on in life. I accept a big problem I have is I am always rooted in the present. It is a problem I love and will stay with it every moment!


At the top we have a choice to either descend gradually over 5 miles down to Grasmere or to do a gentle (ed: it was in no way gentle - Rob) ridge walk with a few more ups and downs and high up views. Being a team we decide to do both with Rob in mouflon mood opting for the high road and me being a scaredy mouse (I admit it) taking the low road. Sounds like it was a good choice for me as Rob would not have been able to resist every opportunity to tell me not to look down and it sounds like there were a few of those along the way.


I think most of the blog needs to be told by photos today so I leave Rob to fill the page with images from another great day.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely to read the Wordsworth poem again and the photos are absolutely stunning - Karen xx

    ReplyDelete